From Good Housekeeping
Get a head start by cooking the barley a day ahead, as in step 1; cool and refrigerate.
Total Time: 1 hr 35 min
Cook Time: 20 min
- 3/4Â cup(s) barley
- 2Â tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 3Â medium celery stalks, sliced
- 1Â large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2Â pound(s) mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2Â tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 14 1/2Â ounce(s) beef broth (I use a vegan vegetable broth)
- 5Â medium carrots, each cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4Â cup(s) dry sherry
- 1 1/2Â teaspoon(s) salt
- fresh sage or other herb, for garnish
- In 3-quart saucepan over high heat, heat barley and 4 cups water to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Drain barley; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 5-quart Dutch oven or sauce pot over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add celery and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes until golden, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to high; add mushrooms and cook 10 to 12 minutes until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-high; add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add beef broth, carrots, sherry, salt, barley, and 4 cups water; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes until carrots and barley are tender. Garnish with fresh sage if you like.
If you would like to learn how to make a recipe â€œVeganâ€ healthy, join our classes! Itâ€™s easy, itâ€™s cheap and itâ€™s fun!