From Good Housekeeping
When barley is added to the mix, comfort food gets a dose of heart-healthy whole grain, as well as a toasty, nutty flavor. Serve this one-pot meal with a simple green salad and, voila, dinner is done.
Yields: 8 cups
Total Time: 1 hr 20 min
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
- 1 1/2Â cup(s) pearl barley
- 3Â teaspoon(s) olive oil
- 4Â (about 1 pound) skinless, boneless chicken thighs , cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2Â medium carrots, chopped
- 2Â stalk(s) celery, chopped
- 1Â small onion, chopped
- 1Â package(s) (8-ounce) sliced mushrooms
- 1Â can(s) (14- to 14 1/2-ounce) chicken broth, (1 3/4 cups)
- 2Â cup(s) water
- 1/2Â teaspoon(s) dried thyme
- 1/4Â teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Parsley leaves, for garnish
- Heat deep nonstick 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add barley and cook 4 to 6 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring occasionally. Transfer barley to large bowl.
- In same skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken and cook about 5 minutes or just until it loses its pink color on the outside, stirring occasionally. Transfer chicken to bowl with barley.
- In same skillet, in remaining 1 teaspoon oil, cook carrots, celery, and onion over medium heat 7 to 8 minutes or until tender-crisp. Stir in mushrooms and cook about 10 minutes longer or until most of liquid evaporates and vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
- Return chicken and barley to skillet; stir in broth, water, thyme, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 to 35 minutes or until barley is tender and chicken is no longer pink in center. Serve pilaf garnished with parsley leaves.
- If you would like to learn how to make a recipe â€œVeganâ€ healthy, join our classes! Itâ€™s easy, itâ€™s cheap and itâ€™s fun!